Submit an absence online
- When your child is absent or will be tardy, please let the school know by email at GunstonElem.Attendance@fcps.edu, submitting through our online attendance form (above) or by calling the attendance line at 703-541-3636. Both options are available 24 hours. This is a critical safety precaution for your child.
- If we do not hear from you by 9:00 a.m., you will be contacted by an automated system using the information from your child’s emergency care sheet. Students should be in their seats by 8:35 am.
- Excused tardies or absences include illness, death in family, doctor or dentist appointment, and observance of a religious holiday. Each student returning from an absence should present a note from a parent or guardian stating the reason for the absence. We encourage family trips during scheduled school vacations and strongly discourage such trips during the school year because these extended absences interrupt sequential learning in many subject areas. Virginia law requires us to withdraw any student who is absent from school for 15 consecutive days or more from our enrollment. Upon the student’s return a parent must again officially enroll him or her. It is critical to your child’s success that they are in school daily and on time.
School Drop Off and Pick Up Information
To ensure safety for our students, we ask parents to remember the following
- Doors open at 8:25 a.m.
- If students arrive prior to 8:25 a.m. they are to remain with their parent.
- Students must not arrive before 8:25 a.m. and must be picked up by 3:30 p.m., as the school does not provide before or after school supervision.
- For the first days of school, staff members are assigned to assist children in finding their classrooms.
- As a safety measure, we ask that all Kiss–N-Ride students be dropped off at Entrance #3. You will need a Kiss-N-Ride tag in your car window.
- If you arrive after 8:25 a.m. and the Kiss-N-Ride has closed, please park your car and walk your students through door #1.
- Students arriving after 8:35 a.m. need to be walked into the building and signed in as tardy.
- Students should not cross Gunston Road or the parking lot, please use the crosswalk.