Kindergarten and New Student Registration Signup Form
Para ver esta página en español, haga clic en el botón azul español en español que se encuentra arriba.
Welcome to Gunston Elementary School!
We'd like to extend a warm welcome to our newest Eagles!
To join us, first determine if your student lives in the Gunston ES boundary by viewing the FCPS boundary locator.
If your student does live in the Gunston ES boundary, please fill out the new student signup/intake form at the bottom of this page. This form will be submitted to Lourdes Presnell, our school registrar, who will email you with information about student registration. She will also provide a link for you to make an appointment to come to the school for the registration process. Information about whether you will meet her curbside in your car or if you will come into the building, will depend on when your appointment is and will be noted in your reminder email shortly before your appointment.
For parents of kindergarten students, your email will also be saved and added to the mailing list for Principal Rucinski.
Note: Summer registration responses MAY be delayed because registrars in FCPS are 11 month employees.
Kindergarten Registration Information
We're excited to welcome our newest Eagles to Gunston!
A child may enter kindergarten if he or she turns five on or before September 30 of the year he or she enters school. Registering a student for kindergarten is a 5-step process. Please follow the instructions on the FCPS Kindergarten Registration webpage, where you'll find complete details about the documents you will need, such as a birth certificate, and the forms you will need to fill out.
- Parents of rising kindergarten students enrolling before the start of the school year in a home language other than English are able to do so through the school.
- Parents of kindergarten students enrolling after the start of the school year in a home language other than English should please do so through the FCPS Student Registration Welcome Center.
- Visit the FCPS kindergarten registration webpage to learn more.
- View the forms required for enrolling a student in kindergarten in FCPS.
Grades 1 - 6: Register a Student New to FCPS
Registering a student who is new to FCPS for grades 1 through 6 at Gunston ES is a 5-step process. Please follow the instructions on the FCPS General Registration Requirements webpage .
- Parents of all students in Grades 1-6 who are enrolling at any time during the school year with a home language other than English should please do so through the FCPS Student Registration Welcome Center
- FCPS General Registration Information Webpage
- View the forms required for enrolling a student in FCPS.
The FCPS General Registration Requirements page will help you determine where to register: either at Gunston or at the closest Student Registration Welcome Center. You will also find details about the documents you will need, such as a birth certificate, and the forms you will need to complete.
Moving to Gunston ES from Another FCPS School
If your student is attending an FCPS elementary school, but you will be moving to a new primary residence with Gunston ES as a base school, you will first need to contact the registrar at the current elementary school to arrange to withdraw your student. Then you will need to contact the Gunston ES registrar to enroll your student
Items Needed for Registration (for Existing FCPS Student)
- Proof of Residency in Fairfax County - You will be required to show proof of residency during the registration process.
- Proof of Parent Identity - Only a parent who is named on the child's birth certificate is eligible to enroll the student. At an appointment with our registrar, the parent will be required to present government-issued photo identification.
- Withdrawal Form - It is very important that you complete a Withdrawal Form and return it to your current school if you are moving during the school year.
- Forms - You will need to fill out and submit the following three forms to the Gunston ES registrar:
Please submit this new student registration signup/intake form in English.
Do You Have Special Registration Situations?
Special registration situations can include nonparent registrations, situations involving divorced or separated parents, homelessness, foster care, and foreign exchange students.
- Learn more by visiting the FCPS Special Registration Situations webpage.
Other Ways the Registrar Can Help
Please contact our registrar if you need to change parent information, such as email address, or student contact information such as name, address or custody.
Withdraw a Student from Gunston ES
To withdraw a student from Gunston ES, contact our registrar to make arrangements to complete a Withdrawal Form.
Student Transfer Information
A student is expected to attend the school that serves his or her attendance area. Transfer requests are considered for very specific reasons as outlined in FCPS School Board Regulation 2230.
Student transfer information is available if a parent would like to transfer a student from a base school to another school within FCPS. However, a school must be open to transfers, based on student capacity, etc.