Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.Principals' Message
As we are concluding week seven of virtual instruction we want to share our appreciation to our families, teachers and students for your flexibility and resiliency during the first quarter. As a school community, we continue to adapt and adjust to best meet our eagles’ needs and continue to look ahead for our students return to the building.
Many of you may have seen the FCPS proposed phase in plan to return students to the building and it has created questions for you. We are working closely with the county to begin to prepare for this transition. We will have another community meeting in the near future to share updated information as we begin to firm up our plans. While uncertainty continues, we ask for your continued patience and grace as we navigate these uncertain times and do all we can to support students now, and moving forward.
Thank you for your continued support,
Ms. Rucinski and Mrs. OpieUpcoming Teacher Workdays
October 30 is a two-hour early release day, instruction ends at 1:15 p.m.
Monday, November 2 and Tuesday, November 3. End-of-quarter Teacher Workdays. STUDENTS DO NOT REPORT TO ONLINE CLASSES.(Virtual) Parent Coffee
Please join us on Wednesday, October 28th from 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm for a special parent coffee. Ms. Schroeder, our math specialist, will be sharing ways to help support your child with learning math in the virtual world. She will also be answering questions from parents. Mark your calendars and we look forward to seeing you then!
Meeting link found here.Community Corner - Equity
Links to books:
A ParentVUE account provides online access to a wealth of information. Please consider signing up for an account. Signing up allows you to access the following:
- Online report card viewing - Go paperless and view/print your child’s report card online. To take advantage of the paperless option, you will need to login to ParentVUE, then go to “My Account” and select "Go Paperless.”
- Update your child’s Emergency Care Form - Parents update this information through WeCare@School via their Blackboard FCPS 24/7 account.
- Bus stop Information via the Bus Stop module
- Monitor assignments
- Access course materials
- Monitor class performance
The Student Rights and Responsibilities Booklet explains expectations for student behavior and adult responses to enhance school safety, creating a fair, equitable and supportive school environment. We ask that you use this document as a framework for discussing these expectations with your child or teen so that he or she is well prepared for success when the school year begins. You will also find that this publication includes information that you may need throughout the school year, including contact numbers and other resources. Please review the Student Rights and Responsibilities (SR&R) and related resources at www.fcps.edu/srr.
After reviewing the information, complete the SR&R Parent Acknowledgement Form. The form must be filled out once, per student.Parental Consent for Select Digital Resources Deadline October 30th
At Island Creek Elementary School, our teachers will use a variety of digital resources to support student learning. You can find our school’s list of the resources that require parental consent here: Digital Resources used at Gunston Elementary.
By completing the Digital Resources Permission Form, you can indicate whether or not your child is allowed to use the digital resources listed this year. The form must be filled out once, per student.Veterans Day Photo Request
Veterans Day (November 11) is quickly approaching. Even though we are currently learning virtually, we still want to recognize our Gunston Elementary Veterans. We need your help to make this possible! If someone in your family has served or is currently serving in the military, we would love to include them in our slideshow. Please email the pictures labeled with names and branch of service (from a camera, phone or electronic copy of a photo) to .email@example.com no later than Friday, November 6 Thanks in advance for making this year’s Gunston Veterans Day Celebration a success!Reporting Absences
When your child is absent or will be tardy, please let the school know by email at Attendance@fcps.edu, submitting through our online attendance form or by calling the attendance line at 703-541-3636. These options are available 24 hours.
As your student returns to in-person instruction, when they are absent please indicate whether your child has any of the following symptoms:
- Feeling feverish or chills
- Fever greater than or equal to 100.4 F
- Headache (not due to another health condition, hunger, menstrual cramps stress, or injury)
- A new cough (not due to another health condition)
- Shortness of breath or breathing difficulties (not due to diagnosed respiratory condition or if different than normal pattern of chronic condition)
- A new sore throat (not due to another health condition)
- Congestion or runny nose (not related to allergies or health condition)
- Fatigue (more tired than normal or sudden onset)
- New muscle pain (not due to another health condition or that may have been caused by a specific activity such as physical exercise))
- New loss of taste, smell, or appetite
- Abdominal pain (not due to hunger, constipation, injury, or stress)
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
Student Laptop Troubles? microphone, speaker, camera? site log-ons?
Do not wait 3 days - follow these steps ASAP
We want every student have the ability to participate.
- Login and out of BBCU – Does it work now? No, go to #2
- Restart laptop and try again - Does it work now? No go to #3
- Videos, Tips, Help desk phone and Portal to submit a ticket
Gunston Library Books
Monday, October 26th - library books are to be picked up at Gunston ES main entrance from 3:00pm - 5:30pm. This is a great time to return books as well.
Please watch your email (and your student's email) each Friday afternoon for Monday delivery information if your student has reserved books that week.Upcoming Events
October 26 - Library Book pick up @ Gunston 3:00pm - 5:30pm
October 28 - Parent Coffee (subject: Math Instruction) 7:00pm - 8:00pm
October 30 - End of First Quarter-Two Hour Early Release 1:15pm
November 2 & 3 - Student Holidays/No school
November 11 - Veteran's Day - Two Hour Early Release 1:15pm
November 25 - 27 - Thanksgiving Break/No school
December 21 - January 1 Winter BreakPTA News & Announcements Join the PTA today!
Sign-up in the store on our website, gunstonpta.org