Meet our school counselor, school psychologist, and social worker and learn about our school counseling program
As elementary school counselors, their primary objective is to assist students in reaching their potential to become effective learners. Their goal is to complement the learning environment in the classroom by using a child-centered, preventative, and developmental approach.
Counseling will be conducted with students individually and in small groups, when requested by parents and teachers and determined appropriate. This service is short-term, voluntary, and confidential. Parent notification is given to any extended individual or group counseling. There will also be monthly classroom guidance lessons focusing on student success.
Benefits of School Counseling Services
- Ensures every student receives the benefit of the school counseling program by designing content curriculum for every student.
- Monitors data to facilitate student improvement.
- Provides strategies for closing the achievement gap.
- Promotes a rigorous academic curriculum for every student.
- Ensures equitable access to educational opportunities.
- Fosters advocacy for students.
- Supports development of skills to increase student success.
(Adapted from ASCA National Model, 2005)
The school counselor works directly with students in individual and group counseling sessions as well as in classroom lessons so students may:
- Adjust to a new school.
- Be successful in school.
- Establish effective study skills.
- Develop positive feelings about work, family and society.
- Build positive feelings towards self and others.
- Develop skills in interacting and communicating with others.
- Cope with change in themselves and their surroundings.
- Identify and accept their own and others’ strengths and weaknesses.
- Recognize the causes and effects of their actions.
- Become responsible for their behavior.
- Receive crisis intervention when necessary.
The school counselor helps students become motivated learners and encourages them to discuss concerns with their parents or guardians. When students work through their social and emotional issues with the help of their parents or guardians and the counselor, they are able to devote attention and energy to the intellectual tasks at school.
Our School Counselor
- School Counselor, ES
School Psychology Services
School psychologists are mental health specialists with knowledge of child development, the psychology of learning, behavior management and intervention, monitoring the progress of students, and program evaluation. School psychologists apply this knowledge using a problem-solving approach to help bring about positive changes in the learning environment, attitude, and motivation. Services offered by the school psychologist may be provided directly to the student or indirectly by working with teachers, parents, and other care givers; however, all services provided by the school psychologist are intended to enhance the academic and social emotional success of students. Minimum requirements to be a school psychologist include a 60-hour master's degree program and a one-year full-time internship; many FCPS school psychologists hold doctoral degrees.
Our School Psychologist
- School Psychologist
Social Work and Support Services
School social workers focus on family and community factors that influence learning. They provide intensive services for students facing issues that pose risks to their academic success such as parent divorce and separation, poverty, truancy, chronic illness, mental health problems, conduct problems, child abuse, etc.
All FCPS social workers hold a Master of Social Work (MSW) or Master of Social Science (MSS) degree; many have earned a Doctorate of Social Work (DSW) degree. All school social workers are licensed by the Virginia Department of Education. The majority of the staff is clinically licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia Board of Social Work (LCSW) or in other jurisdictions and trained to provide mental health services in any setting.
Our School Social Worker
- School Social Worker