Kindergarten and New Student Registration
Para ver esta página en español, haga clic en el botón azul español en español que se encuentra arriba.
Welcome to Gunston Elementary School!
We'd like to extend a warm welcome to our newest Eagles!
- To join us, first determine if your student lives in the Gunston ES boundary by viewing the FCPS boundary locator.
- If your student does live in the Gunston ES boundary, please fill out the new student signup/intake form below. This form will be submitted to Alma Catin, our school registrar.
- Then, find the appointment link at the bottom of this page to book your appointment at the school to complete the registration process.
- Kindergarten Orientation for the 2024-2025 School Year is in April or May. Watch for more details closer to the date.
For parents of kindergarten students, your email will also be saved and added to the mailing list for Principal Rucinski.
Kindergarten and New Student Registration Intake Form
New Student Registration Forms
As you go through the registration process, our school Student Information Assistant, Alma Caitin, is available and ready to help answer your questions and assist you.
Kindergarten Registration Information
We're excited to welcome our newest Eagles to Gunston!
A child may enter kindergarten if he or she turns five on or before September 30 of the year he or she enters school. Registering a student for kindergarten is a 5-step process. Please follow the instructions on the FCPS Kindergarten Registration webpage, where you'll find complete details about the documents you will need, such as a birth certificate, and the forms you will need to fill out.
- Parents of rising kindergarten students enrolling before the start of the school year in a home language other than English are able to do so through the school.
- Parents of kindergarten students enrolling after the start of the school year in a home language other than English should please do so through the FCPS Student Registration Welcome Center.
- Visit the FCPS kindergarten registration webpage to learn more.
- View the forms required for enrolling a student in kindergarten in FCPS.
Grades 1 - 6: Register a Student New to FCPS
Registering a student who is new to FCPS for grades 1 through 6 at Gunston ES is a 5-step process. Please follow the instructions on the FCPS General Registration Requirements webpage .
- Parents of all students in Grades 1-6 who are enrolling at any time during the school year with a home language other than English should please do so through the FCPS Student Registration Welcome Center
- FCPS General Registration Information Webpage
- View the forms required for enrolling a student in FCPS.
The FCPS General Registration Requirements page will help you determine where to register: either at Gunston or at the closest Student Registration Welcome Center. You will also find details about the documents you will need, such as a birth certificate, and the forms you will need to complete.
Moving to Gunston ES from Another FCPS School
If your student is attending an FCPS elementary school, but you will be moving to a new primary residence with Gunston ES as a base school, you will first need to contact the registrar at the current elementary school to arrange to withdraw your student. Then you will need to contact the Gunston ES registrar to enroll your student
Items Needed for Registration (for Existing FCPS Student)
- Proof of Residency in Fairfax County - You will be required to show proof of residency during the registration process.
- Proof of Parent Identity - Only a parent who is named on the child's birth certificate is eligible to enroll the student. At an appointment with our registrar, the parent will be required to present government-issued photo identification.
- Withdrawal Form - It is very important that you complete a Withdrawal Form and return it to your current school if you are moving during the school year.
- Forms - You will need to fill out and submit the following three forms to the Gunston ES registrar:
Submit our intake form above BEFORE making a registration appointment
All the Required Documentation to Bring
- Completed registration forms.
- Original birth certificate: If a birth certificate is not available, the FCPS affidavit with substantiating documentation is required.
- Affidavit forms may be obtained at the school.
- Proof of residency: A current, fully executed lease (signed by both the landlord/management company and tenant) or deed/closing documents to the home are required. If you are sharing a residence, you must complete and have notarized two FCPS residency affidavit forms and provide the necessary documentation at registration.
- Parent Photo ID: Only a parent who is named on the child's birth certificate is eligible to enroll the student. The parent will be required to present government-issued photo identification.
- Immunization Records and Health Physical: To ensure the vaccinations are in compliance with Virginia’s requirements, review your medical records. The student cannot be enrolled unless vaccinations are in compliance. (FCPS Regulation 2101.18). Please bring a copy of the school physical conducted by your family doctor. FCPS Policies, Regulations & Notices
- School records: (an informal copy is acceptable). We will request official records from your child’s previous school after the registration is completed. You can request to have the student’s former school mail (10100 Lorton Rd, Lorton, VA 22079), email the records to [email protected] or fax the records to us at 703-542-3603.
- Special Education Records: such as IEP, if applicable. Please inform our Student Information Assistant if your child has an IEP when scheduling your appointment.
Please make sure you have all documentation completed before your appointment.
FCPS welcomes responsive and collaborative communication and partnerships with the parents and families of our students.
- Learn more by visiting the FCPS Military Registration webpage.
Do You Have Special Registration Situations?
Special registration situations can include nonparent registrations, situations involving divorced or separated parents, homelessness, foster care, and foreign exchange students.
- Learn more by visiting the FCPS Special Registration Situations webpage.
Other Ways the Registrar Can Help
Please contact our registrar if you need to change parent information, such as email address, or student contact information such as name, address or custody.
Withdraw a Student from Gunston ES
To withdraw a student from Gunston ES, contact our registrar to make arrangements to complete a Withdrawal Form.
Student Transfer Information
A student is expected to attend the school that serves his or her attendance area. Transfer requests are considered for very specific reasons as outlined in FCPS School Board Regulation 2230.
Student transfer information is available if a parent would like to transfer a student from a base school to another school within FCPS. However, a school must be open to transfers, based on student capacity, etc.
ADVANCED ACADEMICS IDENTIFICATION AND PLACEMENT FOR NEW STUDENTS
Families New to FCPS Boundaries: Identification and placement process for full-time Advanced Academic Programs (Level IV services) as well as school-based Advanced Academic Programs (Level II and Level III services)